Monday 14 April 2014

the proofing of the Paramo

It's April, the height of the TGO Challenge preparation season rituals.


The run up to the Challenge is punctuated by a succession of events, each one reassuringly familiar over the past 15 years or so, and even after all this time the novelty doesn't wane.


Around February it's that twitchy time of scanning the rail company websites for the release dates of first the overnight sleeper tickets, and then the train home from Montrose. There are bargains to be had when booking  immediately  tickets are released, and more importantly, huge financial penalties for failing to do so. This year I've gone for the First Class option on the way home, for not a great deal more than standard class.


Then the Final Details arrive, and each year I scan for familiar names, and think of the wonderful Challengers that have passed away and are no longer on that list. Each year, being a bit of a saddo, I also find myself counting up how many on the list have completed more than I have, and each year that number gets a little smaller.


Today was a landmark if the countdown to the off - today was Paramo proofing day. I only do it once a year, and rarely can a chap have so much fun with a washing machine and a dryer, warm in the glow of newly restored and functional waterproof gear.


Now I know that Paramo is the Marmite of waterproof gear - some think it too heavy (its got a lot lighter over the past few years), others claim it isn't actually waterproof.


I have a theory about waterproof gear - there is no such thing. If it rains enough, you will, eventually, get wet, it's just a matter of time. So, if I am to get wet, at least it will be in something comfortable. For years I have been released from the tyranny of Gore-Tex, and there's no going back now. The trouble with Gore-Tex (and other similar laminates) is that it's like wearing a crisp packet, and about as comfortable and noisy. The laminate wears out, pointless in boots (leather boots can be proofed with wax, fabric boots offer no protection to the fragile laminate). I'm sure there are newer fabrics, but it's Paramo for me.


So, over the next week or so, I'll be working out how much food to take, where to send parcels, try to remember which way we'll be going, and if that's the same way I put on my route, putting the tent up in the garden for a bit of practise, wondering how many feathers are left in my sleeping bag, and buying a new pair of overly-priced, fluffy walking socks. Oh, and I might do a bit of walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment