Saturday 28 September 2013

It's Challenge application time

For the umpteenth time, I've filled in one of these - it's The Great Outdoors Challenge application form


I first filled in one of these forms in 1996, and I've filled one in every year since.

It's difficult to explain the magic of the Challenge, and why it's dominated our lives since we first took part in 1998, but I'll have a go.

The Challenge is a self-supported backpacking event that takes place in Scotland every May. Each year, over the second weekend in May, about 300 people set off on foot from 12 start points on the West coast of Scotland, and independently walk to the East coast over the next two weeks, having planned and devised their own routes. That's really all there is to it, although actually there is so much more. We walk together or separately, we follow the same routes or different routes, we walk at different speeds and walk different distances, we follow summits or valleys, and walk on tracks, roads, paths or cross country through bog or heather. We cross rivers, we wild camp in the most remote spots and stay in the most luxurious hotels. We endure heatwaves, snow and torrential rain, and enjoy glorious days in the most beautiful landscapes. We go days without seeing anyone, and carry our food and shelter on our backs. And it's our holiday.

Most of all, the Challenge is about the people who take part. We are an eccentric bunch (a bit like CAMRA people!!), of all shapes, sizes and ages, and mostly grey of beard and hair. When I completed my first Challenge in 1998 I was 34, and was one of the youngest taking part. Next year, on my thirteenth Challenge, I shall be 50 and I will still be one of the youngest taking part. The Challenge is an event that is growing old disgracefully, and all of us keep coming back year after year, for as long as we can.

Between us, Joke and myself have completed 21 Challenges (23 if you count the truncated event of the foot and mouth year) and I'm immensely proud that neither of us have ever failed to complete the walk. We have enjoyed countless Challenge reunions in Derbyshire, Scotland and Holland, and we got married in Montrose at the end of a Challenge. The event has immeasurably enriched our lives, for which I am most grateful, and my application form is in the post.

2 comments:

  1. Spot on Sir!
    I sent my application form off to Andy Walker to complete today.
    Fingers crossed!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, Joke is on her tenth next year, so there should be no need for crossing of digits or bribery of our Leader with overpriced alcohol. If the knee replacement she has next month goes as well as the one she had in June, we'll be OK. By next year's Challenge Joke will have two new knees to go with her new hip, so that could be a Challenge record for artificial joints!!

      Delete